My husband and I recently remodeled the main bathroom in our house. We have two different bathrooms, but we decided to remodel the one that is most in the public eye whenever we have company at our house. We entered the whole process with a lot of enthusiasm because I really wanted the bathroom in my 1920s house to look more like it originally must have looked.
We started with the tub / shower. The old arrangement was one solid piece that was glued to the wall and sealed. We removed the old tub / shower after much difficulty due to the breaking off of many pieces of the portion that served as the wall shield. Once we got behind the wall shield, we have a rather large surprise because the wall itself had not been finished!?!
The person who installed the tub must have done some serious remodeling to remove all the plaster from the wall. He then just stuck the shower to the studs and never covered the wall back up. This added greatly to our time expenditure as we had to get sheet rock, nails, paint, etc. and finish off the wall before we could move on. It was a little frustrating, but we were expecting issues like this.
Once the wall was repaired, we sealed off the floor with bathroom tile and installed a claw-foot tub. We had a contractor friend do most of the plumbing and tiling of the floor because we didn’t feel sufficiently expert to make sure the floor and pipes would not leak.
While the friend was working on the tub, we spent a lot of fun-filled time picking out exactly the tile pattern that we wanted on the wall next to the tub. We settled on a design that I refer to as “Medieval.” It’s hard to explain, but it is an unusual tile pattern that I really liked and my husband let me go with it.
We actually enjoyed putting the tile on the wall and then grouting it because we got to spend a lot of time together in a small space where the only thing we could do was talk (no TV or dogs or phone calls were allowed). We ended up leaving the bathroom cabinets as they were because this is an older house and I liked the look and feel of the almost-100-year-old cabinets.
The final phase of our bathroom remodeling involved changing out the sink, the faucet, and the light fixtures. Once again, we went with older-looking items (in the case of the faucet) or actual antiques (in the case of the light fixture and sink). All in all we had a great time despite the surprises and minor hassles (of which there were many, not the least of which is having grout in my hair). We are very happy with our remodeled bathroom.